I was looking at old photos as one does at the beginning of a new year, and I thought it might be nice to post some of these every now and then, possibly daily. Pictures that remind me of good times. Pictures that make me smile, make me happy. Stuff I think will be good to share and might make you smile too. So expect pictures regularly, or occasionally. It’ll depend you know.
I’ve been meaning to say Happy Christmas. As today is Christmas Eve it feels like a good time to do that. So, to everyone who’s been a regular reader here and at the previous .com site too, thanks so much and a very happ Christmas to you. Thanks for reading, and, on rare occasion, commenting too.
One of the things I wanted to do in 2015 was a lot more automation and getting things to work by themselves. Largely that hasn’t happened. However, there are reasons, the main one being that for the most part I haven’t had the need for it. This opens up a bigger question about technology though. I was having a conversation with a friend of mine who was telling me about something cool he could do with his new phone. It was cool, but when I asked him if it was something that he’d actually use, he said no.
That started me thinking. How many times to we (I) think that a thing is cool and would be really useful only to find that actually, whilst it is a cool use of technology, it is in fact a use that we (I) have no real need for. So in actual fact, it isn’t so cool after all. I’m starting to find this a lot these days. Things I thought I’d use or assumed I’d use are actually just cool, or fun, or more often both, but fundamentally, not of any practical use after all.
It’s a shame, but I’m beginning to start questioning myself when I look at a new app, or gadget or whatever, and say, would I really use this? Would it just collect dust? Would it end up taking up time and effort to show me that I’m not going to find it very useful? This is starting to happen more and more. In many ways it is a good thing though. It means I will waste less time and effort, but it’s also a bit sad. Sometimes it’s nice to play with cool stuff just for the sake of it, and now, I find myself just asking, why?
I think it’s important to remember that this isn’t just fireworks night, as so many people seem to have fallen into calling it, but it is in fact the day when we celebrate Guy Fawkes and what he stood for. It is Guy Fawkes night
I think it’s important to point out, and important to remember.
I’m a big fan of the Day One journal app. I find it really useful. It seems that there’s a lot of new stuff coming in the next big iteration of the app. Here’s what’s coming:
- Multiple Journals— In Day One 2.0 you can create and name multiple journals
- Multiple Photos— A simple and elegant solution for adding multiple photos per entry
It looks like it’ll be really cool, but I hope they won’t mess up a load of other stuff at the same time.
If you’ve only ever been here (this blog) a few times, then you probably already know that I’m a massive big finish fan. It’s true. I really like what they do, and I really like how they do it. Some of the newer series that they’re bringing out have been amazing, and I think that they are just going from strength to strength. Even so, I thought I’d put down a few things I’d really like to see them do in the future, just in case they’re listening (although in all seriousness I doubt that they are).
Here’s what I’d like them to do:
- Create an audiobook series for the War Doctor. John Hurt’s performance in the 50th Anniversary episode was inspired, and the character he created shouldn’t be lost forever. There was a single audiobook / book that came out with a war doctor story, but it shouldn’t end there. Certainly not. I think that Big Finish would do an admirable job of creating a whole series for the War Doctor. I hope that they’re considering it.
- Day of the Triffids. Big Finish created a follow on story from Day of the Triffids called ‘Night of the Triffids’, which was really good. However, I wish they’d also do a remake of the original. I think that they could do a great job of this. It’s an excellent story and worth a retelling. They could do it so well.
- UFO, I’d love to see that back again, and I think that Big Finish could do it some real justice.
- Space 1999. Same again!
I’m not sure they’ll listen, or even be aware of what I’m saying, but who knows. Maybe, just maybe …
So here we are in September already. Where did 2015 go? We’re already in September and the summer feels like it’s over. Not that it was really ever here. I mean, that’s typical really isn’t it, typical of an English summer. So perhaps we’ll get some better weather in September. Who knows.
There’s lots of interesting things happening in September, so it should be a good month, but it always feels like September is a doorway into autumn and then winter. It’s like we’re over the best of the year and it’s downhill now, which feels a bit sad.