I enjoy making things a lot. I don’t get enough time to do it though. When I do make stuff it takes all sorts of different forms, like electronics, fixing stuff (with Sugru etc), using conductive ink, conductive textiles, and the list goes on.
Over the last couple of years I have tried to learn Max and have experimented with various projects. Some slightly successful, others less so.
When RNBO (‘rainbow’ apparently) was announced recently, this book was also announed, and it peaked my interest again. I have only just began it, but I am going to do my best to read this and understand it, and I may even end up making something. If I do I will share it.
Also, as I make my way through the book I’ll give you my views on it.
I actually made this quite a while ago, but decided to revisit it as I thought that I might do a little more in Processing this year. I know I’ve said that before. There’s no guarantee that I will in 2020, but I might.
I was always quite pleased with this sketch though. It was fun and interesting to play with. Above is just a video of the sketch in action as I can’t work out how to embed the sketch here so it can be played. I’d like to be able to do that too, but it might take me a little while for me to figure it out.
Anyway, if I managed to do anything else with Processing then I’ll share it too. That is, if it’s good enough.
Last year I decided that I wasn’t doing anything interesting with my collection of littleBits components and modules, so I finally gave them up and sold them. I hope that they’ve all gone to good homes.
They were fun, and very useful at times. I did enjoy them, but I think I had got to a point where I’d stopped doing anything creative with them.
The littleBits bitLab that is. I’d always wondered how sustainable it would be, but apparently there’s already an answer to that question. So it’s a shame. I think that there were some very nice projects in there but obviously not enough money to make it work. It’s a shame. It was a great idea.
For a long time I’ve been thinking about the idea of being able to create a synth in hardware which reacted to the virtual world, more specifically, to being tweeted at. To that that end I got myself a littleBits CloudBit, which works quite well, albeit it isn’t able to provide as much data as…
I made this last year after buying the kit far longer ago. It took a while to make as it was actually a little complex, but I enjoyed doing it. I don’t make a lot of models, but they are fun. I got this one from a seller on Etsy who also makes a few other fun music related models, but only a few.
It was actually a lot more difficult to make than I expected, or rather, it took quite a while to do it.
Daphne was an amazing woman, and I’m currently reading her book, “An Individual Note”, which is a good read. But more of that another time.
It’s a kit for making a nice little model. I think I might have first seen it in Electronic Sound magazine and thought it would be a nice thing to have. Anyway, I\m sure I’ll get around to making it soon enough. When I do I’ll post a few pictures.
Part of me wants this just because it’s kind of cool that Haynes are making a little synth kit, although I’ve no idea why they would do that at all. It seems so strange, but there you go. I also know that if I got one and made it I wouldn’t really do much if at all with it and it would just gather dust for a long time.
So I’ve more or less decided not to get this. I think that’s probably best.
I actually got these two working a long time ago, and they do work quite well, if being a bit limited, but they’re fun and that’s fine.
However, I was thinking the other day that I should give it a go with some of the other little modular things I have. The colossus sequencer has a CV out so should work with some of my other bits and pieces.
For a long time I’ve been thinking about the idea of being able to create a synth in hardware which reacted to the virtual world, more specifically, to being tweeted at. To that that end I got myself a littleBits CloudBit, which works quite well, albeit it isn’t able to provide as much data as I’d like it to. However, that’s something that I need to overcome with a little bit of ingenuity rather than just complain about it.
So I’m starting to build the synth and get it to respond to external stimulus. The goal being to create a little system that reacts to a twitter message, creates a sequence based on that message, and somehow records that and uploads it somewhere. We’ll see. That’s the plan. Who knows how it’ll work out.