I had a recent look at the Romotive web site and noticed that there’s a banner saying that the product is no longer for sale. That doesn’t look good to me. It sounds like they’re not going to be doing Romo anymore, or at least not in its current form. I hope that they’ll continue to do something with robotics as they were really good and I’ve had a lot of fun with my Romos.
It’s interesting to see these two devices side by side and compare the quite startling differences between them. It isn’t just size, it’s build quality and finish, and, basically, everything!
Quite amazing really. It’s a shame the Romotive seem to have now vanished off the face of the earth.
I’ve wanted a Romo II for a while now. I originally funded the first Romo on Kickstarter, but never got the second one. So I finally managed to get hold of one on eBay for just a few pounds.
So I’m looking forward to getting this one going and maybe even doing something using both of them together.
I was thinking more about Romo and the company that made them, Romotive. I know that they made their second version of Romo, which I didn’t kickstart, but I was wondering what happened to them after that. Their site doesn’t really seem to say what they’re up to at all. I think it would be a shame if that was it for them. Not least because I’d like to know a bit more about those aux ports as I’ve mentioned before.
I guess start ups like this come and go and they don’t always last. Which is inevitable.
So having carried out a number of experiments using the Romo I’ve decided that a more musical robot is needed, and that will require something more bespoke. So I’ve chosen Mindstorms as a starting place, but of course for the musical side, littleBits is ideal. Connecting the two will now be easy, because of the above.
Experimenting with attaching other devices to the Romo. The idea was to use a simple velcro patch to attach a little light sensitive instrument to the front of the Romo. That way it could make a noise depending on how much light was going into it.
It did work. It was ok, but not that interesting. However, it means I can attach other stuff to Romo and do some more experiments at some point. Which I will do.