I’m really looking forward to RSD2015 and there are good reasons too, in fact, quite a number of good reasons, all of which I’m hoping to get hold of. Here’s my list of stuff I’m after:
- Eno, Brian – My Squelchy Life (2LP)
- ADAM & THE ANTS “KINGS OF THE WILD FRONTIER / ANT MUSIC”
- Blancmange – I Want More (Extended Version)
- David Sylvian & Ryuichi Sakamoto Bamboo Houses / Bamboo Music This new twist on the Bamboo Houses / Bamboo Music 7” single was overseen by David Sylvian himself. The bespoke sleeve has been designed by long time Sylvian collaborator, Chris Biggs (23 Envelope ) and the photographs are by internationally renowned photographer, Yaka Fujii. Format: 7″ Single
- Dexys Midnight Runners – 30th anniversary purple vinyl edition of this masterpiece.
- HOLGER CZUKAY – HIT/FLOP. Format: 2×10″
- HOLGER CZUKAY – 11 YEARS INNERSPACE. Format: 2×10″
- Simple Minds – Waterfront (Picture Disc). Format: 7″ Single
- The Doors – Strange Days (Mono). Format: 1 x 12″ / black vinyl
It’s a big list this year. The last couple of years I haven’t been looking for nearly as many items, but this year there are just too many good things.
I’m a big fan of Record Store Day. I’ve been going for a few years now. It’s a fun event and you can end up getting some great records. Of course as we get closer to the day there will be more news about which labels are releasing what albums for record store day this year.
Last year I picked up all the things I want to get in the end, but I wish I’d had a bit more time on the day to stay and watch some of the live performances and just mooch around a bit too.
I posted yesterday about getting this 12″ single of The The’s Giant. So far so good. But, sadly, the nice sticker on the front of the disc is on the cellophane and not on the sleeve itself, meaning that the minute I open it, the sticker is gone!
This was the other record store day release I really wanted, but couldn’t get on the day. At the time I thought I’d done pretty well to get 2 out of three of the special releases I wanted, but I’d really wanted this too and ended up looking on eBay for it.
Well the one I got wasn’t a bad price at all, and was in perfect condition too.
Even though I have this album, and I’ve probably bought it about 4 times now, I still couldn’t help myself!
One of the things I picked up from Record Store Day last weekend was this special release of John Foxx’s first album Metamatic on white vinyl. I’ve had this album for ages but I couldn’t resist getting this version.
Getting near the end of the queue
Yep, that was the queue
How true …
Just some pictures from what was a very cold queue for Rough Trade East on Saturday morning. I think I queued up for just over 2 hours in the end, and I managed to get two of the three special releases I was after.
Great to see that this is being kept alive. I have very fond memories of time spent searching around in record stores for something unique and interesting. Especially second hand stores like the sadly missed Beanos which used to be in Surrey Street.
I hope that events like this keep people visiting record stores, not just on a day like today, but far more often.